Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 30 May 2015

Plans for Corpus Christi in Oxford


Next Thursday is the Feast of Corpus Christi, and on the day itself there will be a High Mass in the Extraordinary Form at the Oxford Oratory at 6 pm. I believe there will also be an EF Mass at SS Gregory and Augustine in Woodstock Road at the same time

On Sunday June 7, the day of the transferred Solemnity in the novus ordo, there will also be the North Oxford Deanery Corpus Christi Procession in the city. This year it will be led by the Archbishop of Birmingham. The procession commences at 2.30 at Oxford Oratory, and is scheduled to have a station with sermon at Blackfriars (but this may be affected by the need for urgent repairs to the ceiling of Blackfriars church) and proceeding to the University Chaplaincy for Solemn Benediction to conclude the afternoon.

This is always a good occasion to participate in - an act of witness, and an act of celebration of our Lord's abiding presence with His people.


No comments: