Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 19 May 2015

Chesterton exhibition at the Oxford Oratory

This coming Saturday, May 23rd, the Chesterton library collection, now housed at the Oxford Oratory, will be open for visitors from 2.30 until 5.30.

The collection consists of what survives of Chesterton's library, including annotated and signed copies of his books, as well as personal memorabilia from his possessions.

The afternoon is advertised as offering treasures, tours and teas - what more could the Chestertonian enthusiast want?



No comments: