Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 1 May 2015

Pilgrimage for St Margaret Clitherow and the York Martyrs - May 9th



This year's pilgrimage for St Margaret Clitherow and the York Martyrs will be on Saturday, 9th May. We will be joined by members of the Guild of Our Lady of Ransom.

Fr Richard will give a talk in the Bedern Hall at 11.30am on the history of Christian York. There will be a High Mass in the Extraordinary Form at 1.30pm, followed by a procession at 3.00pm taking in St Margaret's House in the Shambles and the site of her martyrdom on Ouse Bridge. The day will end with Benediction back in St Wilfrid's at 3.45pm.


13580390663_88f1c1d377_n

Text and image:stwilfridsyork.org.uk 


For anyone free to go to this pilgrimage I am sure that it would be an excellent occasion to attend.


No comments: