Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 26 September 2012

Imperial purple


I recently found on the internet these pictures of a spectacular dalmatic, which as the picture indicates, comes from south Germany and is dated to the first half of the fourteenth century. The fabric is Chinese purple damask of circa 1300.
Unfortunately the website does not indicate in which treasury or museum the dalmatic may be seen. However from the context it appears to be in the Kunsthistorische Museum, Vienna, and to be part of the Imperial vesture. The Imperial eagle and the crowned figures in the embroideries would all point to that. One can presume that it was made for an Emperor such as Henry VII, Louis IV or Charles IV. It is certainly a wonderful vestment.
http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1300s_real_dalmatic_lg.jpg

http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1300s_real_dalmatic_close.jpg
Detail of the sleeve and embroidery
Images: virtue.to

No comments: