Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 9 September 2012

Archbishop John de St Paul of Dublin


Today is also the 650th anniversary of the death in 1362 of John de St Paul, Archbishop of Dublin. My particular interest is him arises from the fact that he was born in my home area, at Owston, which is south-east of Pontefract and north of Doncaster. His life and career is a good example of the way not a few clever young men from Yorkshire made their way in the fourteenth century world through the Church and by serving in the royal Chancery, rising to positions of influence and importance.

The most recent and detailed account of his life is by Philomena Connolly in the Oxford DNB  and which can be read here. There is another online account of him here.


Owston Church

 All Saints church Owston
Much of the structure is as it would have been in the lifetime of John de St Paul

Image: LANEXXX on Panoramio

No comments: