Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 12 September 2012

Pontifical gloves in use at Buckfast


A friend with a keen eye for esoteric matters liturgical has very kindly sent me a link to a set of photographs from the celebration of Easter in 2011 at Buckfast Abbey. The Abbot is wearing Pontifical gloves in the celebration of the Ordinary Form of Mass. They can be seen in the third photograph in the top row where he is blessing the Gospel reader and most clearly in the bottom right photo of the Abbot preaching. The link is here.  
For an introduction to the history and use of  Pontifical gloves or chirotecae for the uninitiated there is an online article here.
My friend enquires if I have you ever seen this before, other than, as he adds, perhaps on the late Cardinal Siri. As the link above states their use is still permitted under current rules for the novus ordo. I cannot say that I have - but then perhaps I was not looking sufficiently closely.

I am, not, of course, objecting to such a use of Pontificalia, but would welcome it - as intended in traditional practice it emphasises the special nature of the prelate's office on a Solemn occasion.

No comments: