Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 2 May 2011

St George


Today is the transferred Solemnity of St George.

There is an online article about him here and one about devotion to him and his cult here.These bring out the extent of his popularity as a patron and the way in which different countries and cultures have appropriated him.Both of the articles have a selection of images of the saint produced by artists over the centuries.



St George killing the Dragon
Raphael 1505-06
National Gallery Washington DC

This psinting was commissioned by the Duke of Urbino to commemorate his admission as a Knight of the Garter, and St George is depicted wearing the Garter below his left knee.

May St George pray for us and all those who have sought his patronage!



No comments: