Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 5 May 2014

An important new book on Pugin


Despite the huge growth of Pugin studies in recent decades, there has, surprisingly, been no comprehensive catalogue of his architectural output until now. This is now being remedied with the publication of G.J.Hyland's  The Architectural Works of A.W.N. Pugin.
 

 

 Image: Pugin Society

In his ground-breaking study my friend Gerard Hyland has identified over 290 executed works and at least 84 unexecuted designs by Pugin, and which are spread over five countries and two continents. 

In his survey they are grouped by building type into eleven categories, each with an introduction. The entries comprise an architectural description together with information about patronage, later building history and a list of sources. There are also six appendices providing important background information and a summary lists of works usefully arranged by both diocese and county.

Dr Hyland, a theoretical physicist by profession, has long been fascinated by Pugin s achievements and this important new book is his tribute to one of our greatest and most influential architects. It is enhanced by illustrations of key buildings, nearly all of them in colour.

The volume will be published by Spire Books on May 28th at £35.00, but can be pre-ordered.

Quite apart from appreciating Pugin's work, and knowing Gerard, I have a particular interest in this book in that I was able to assist him as author with some details about the Jesus Chapel at Ackworth in Yorkshire - alas now demolished. I will post my own, long delayed, piece on that specimen of Pugin's work in the next few days.


No comments: