Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 8 July 2013

Another sports story


After all the enthusiasm and coverage generated by young Mr Murray's victory in the Men's Singles at Wimbledon yesterday here is another sports story, from the Daily Telegraph, which you might have missed. It concerns football - a sport I loathe, or at least I loathe the "culture" which surrounds it - and is from Brazil, which is hosting the next Olympics, Worls Cup, and also, of course, World Youth Day. It gives an insight into the sporting instincts of at least some of the Brazilian people and can be read at 

Brazilian referee beheaded and quartered after stabbing player he sent off


Were such actions to become more widespread or transfer to other sports think of the added excitement they could bring to, for example, the Centre Court at Wimbledon - even more than yesterday's enthusiastic response.


No comments: