Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 21 July 2013

The new King of the Belgians


Today has witnessed the abdication of King Albert II as King of the Belgians and the accession and formal Oath taking of his son and successor, King Philippe I to the Francophone Belgians and King Filip I to the Flemish speakers.


 
The King of the Belgians takes the Oath to the Constitution in the three official languages of the realm - Flemish, French and German

Image: Businessweek

Given the delicate balancing act the Belgian monarch is called upon to exercise in seeking  to reconcile the conflicting interests of the Flemish and French language groups in the realm the new King deserves the prayers and support of his people and of all those who support the monarchical principle.

King Philippe can draw upon the conscientious work and precedents set by his uncle King Baudouin and by his father in his new task, and the support of Queen Mathilde and their children, as well as the wider Royal family of Belgium.

No comments: