Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 26 April 2012

First Blessings, First Masses


I now have some pictures of last weekend's first blessings and first Masses of  Fr James Bradley and Fr Daniel Lloyd.

Here they can be seen giving First Blessings in St Patrick's Soho:

 
Father James Bradley


 
Father Daniel Lloyd


Images: Fr Ray Blake blog and Andrew Wagstaff.

There is an illustrated report from the New Liturgical Movement on The First Mass of a Young Ordinariate Priest: Fr. James Bradley which was celebrated on Sunday morning at Balham.

That evening I attended Fr Lloyd's First Mass at Holy Rood here in Oxford. It was well attended, with a well conducted liturgy in the best Ordinariatre style, with excellent music to accompany the liturgical action, and an inspiring and moving sermon from Fr John Saward on the infinite benefits of the Mass and the high calling of the priesthood. The NLM has pictures of the Mass at First Mass of Fr. Daniel Lloyd, Holy Rood, Oxford.

On Monday I attended Fr Lloyd's second Mass, again at Holy Rood, on the Solemnity of St George.

No comments: