Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 27 October 2010

Preparing for the Ordinariate


On Monday Fr Blake posted as follows on his St Mary Magdalen, Brighton blog

" I think the Ordinariate is going to be the most exciting thing in the life of the Catholic Church in this country since the restoration of the Heirarchy, what ever the numbers of those coming acrosss the Tiber it is going to have dramatic consequences.

I have been reading Fr Sean's posts on the Ordinariate, well worth going through them if you haven't yet done so."

I followed his advice and looked at Fr Finnegan's Valle Adurni blog, and found an excellent series of posts starting from a report in The Tablet (aka The Bitter Pill) that Bishop Alan Hopes will be the initial head of the Ordinariate.

Fr Sean's extended comments display great understanding and sympathy and it is to hoped and prayed that the process will follow the course he envisages.

No comments: