Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 13 October 2010

Birmingham Battle of Jericho


A friend has sent me details of the following Pro-Life Witness in
Birmingham this week:

"The `Battle of Jericho' will be fought in Edgbaston from 11th-17th October. On the Monday-Saturday of the week, Mass will be offered at the Birmingham Oratory at 3 p.m. After Mass, priests and people will travel to the abortion clinic on Arthur Road in Edgbaston. There will be a procession around the clinic, once a day, reciting the Rosary. On the Sunday, there will be no Mass but the procession will go around the clinic seven times. The Battle of Jericho is offered for the conversion of the staff and those involved with abortion; and also for the restoration of esteem for the priesthood."

I am happy to draw attention to this demonstration of Catholic opposition to abortion. It should not just be for Catholics to be seen to object. The inherent evil of deliberate abortion should be obvious to everyone. Why are people so blind? Is it wilful or a consequence of social conditioning?

If you are in Birmingham go along and support this witness. Who knows - the walls of the clinic might collapse...

No comments: