Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 4 October 2010

The Pope at the Birmingham Oratory

image of the logo


There are some excellent photographs of the Pope's visit to the Birmingham Oratory on the New Liturgical Movement. If you have not aleady seen them they can be found here. They are a fine record of what was clearly a joyful and historic visit.

I understand that the Oratory presented to the Pope a rosary which had belonged to Bl. John Henry. The gift delighted the Holy Father, who said it meant more to him than the other gifts he had received on his visit.

Bl John Henry Newman's room has been preserved intact since his death - it has not been tidied of the proliferation of photographs and other objects in the way that Queen Vistoria's apartments at Osborne House - fascinating as they are - have been.

Here is a photograph of Cardinal Newman at his desk in 1889:

Cardinal Newman

...and here is Pope Benedict XVI at the same desk in the same room in 2010:





No comments: