Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 14 February 2011

St Cyril and St Methodius


To most people today is the feast of St Valentine, but according to the Roman Calendar it is the feast of SS Cyril and Methodius, the Apostles of the Slavs. Their widespread cult is relatively recent in western Europe, dating really from the time of Pope Leo XIII. It became more extensive, and ranked as a Feast rather than a Memoria in the Novus Ordo when Pope John Paul II proclaimed them co-patrons of Europe with St Benedict in 1980.

There is an introduction to their lives, achievements and legacy here.

From that their importance in the history of Bulgaria is made clear, and, as aconsequence, in 1909 King Ferdinand I established the Order of SS Cyril and Methodius as the highest chivalric order of his kingdom. I hope to post more about the order and its insignia in the near future



2 comments:

Theresa Bruno said...

If I'm ever in Oxford, I'll have to look you up. You would be fascinating to talk to.

Once I Was A Clever Boy said...

Thank you for the compliment. I hope we can have the opportunity to meet.