Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 31 August 2024

Dominus Vobiscum


The New Liturgical Movement has an interesting article by Michael P. Foley which looks at one of the most frequently used phrases in the Latin Mass - and, in translation, in the vernacular liturgy  - the Dominus Vobiscum, and the congregational response. Noting its frequency in the liturgical action, and its consequent seeming insignificance, the article looks at its background and its recent translation history. It then explores its importance and how it should be understood as and when it is spoken, and what it invites the worshipper each time to reflect upon.

The article can be read at The Dominus Vobiscum


No comments: