Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 24 August 2024

Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Reading


This is another addition I have made to the original list, and which I explain in my article from last year at Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Reading

As I mention the medieval pilgrim would have found in the abbey a spectacular collection of relics given by King Henry I and his daughter the Empress Matilda, who gave the greatest treasure amongst these relics in the form of the hand of St James the Great. Not only does the hand itself apparently survive in the Catholic church at Marlow but the scallop shell has become an heraldic symbol for Reading.

May Our Lady of Reading pray for The King and all the Royal Family and for us all


No comments: