Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 13 August 2024

A return to blogging


My time in hospital and rehab ended I began establishing myself in new accommodation ( you really do not want to hear that saga ) in early July when I suffered a pulmonary embolism, with clots in both lungs - quite the worst health issue I have ever experienced. So back I went to hospital and rehab and then, after beginning the regular use of blood thinners, came back back to the new flat the other day. Not conducive to blogging, although I have done quite a lot of reading.

I now intend to resume blogging on my established lines. I have not quite decided whether to resume the remainder of the May Marian Pilgrimage, and if so might defer that a while. There are additions I wish to make to the itinerary and I also had intended to include Scottish and Welsh Marian shrines. To do that might be a bit difficult at the moment, so that may be deferred until September to mark Our Lady’s Birthday and the newly promoted feast of Our Lady of Walsingham. Otherwise I shall seek to create a fully revised version of the Pilgrimage for next May.

As I said I have done quite a bit of reading - friends came and lent me a great number of books. I quite often review books on Amazon when I have bought from them, using a nom de  plume, but I thought the blog might take some of my reflections.

Thank you to those who contacted me and sent good wishes, and it is good to be back.


3 comments:

Zephyrinus said...

HOORAY !!! Welcome back, John.

Respectfully suggest you consider leaving the Marian revised version until next May. Slowly, slowly . . .

Deo Gratias.

Joseph Miller said...

Really good to see you back and glad to hear you've recovered somewhat.

Matthew F Kluk said...

Welcome back!