Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 27 August 2024

Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady on the Red Mount in King’s Lynn


The penultimate shrine on this pilgrimage is now reached at King’s Lynn. The Chapel on the Red Mount is a rare survival of such a building and well worth visiting for that reason alone. It was built in 1483-5. One wonders if the redoubtable Margery Kempe visited it in an earlier form when she was living in her home town or before her seemingly impulsive decision to travel to Wilsnack in Brandenburg to the Eucharistic shrine there.

My accounts of the chapel and the tradition of devotion there can be seen at Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady on the Red Mount in King’s Lynn

As we are now within striking distance of Walsingham  it is worth recalling that it was in the Catholic parish church in Kings Lynn that public devotion to Our Lady of Walsingham was first re-established in the 1890s.
 
May Our Lady on the Red Mount pray for The King and all the Royal Family and for us all


No comments: