Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 20 August 2024

Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady in the Wall at Boston


Later medieval Boston was one of the largest and most prosperous towns in England, trading in particular with German towns and with Norway. The town had a vibrant religious life, most obviously in the building and ornamentation of the enormous and spectacular parish church of St Borolph. 

Apart from the prestigious Guild of St Mary the main focus of Marian devotion appears to have been a statue known as Our Lady in the Wall which enjoyed particular spiritual privileges.

My posts about this figure, of which little is recorded, can be found through Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady in the Wall at Boston


May Our Lady in the Wall at Boston pray for The King and all the Royal Family and for us all


No comments: