Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 30 August 2024

More on the Holy Shroud


Last week’s edition of the Catholic Herald had a useful and informative article about the recent research into the date of the Holy Shroud of Turin. This covers more than the study I linked to in my recent post The science of the Shroud of Turin

The Catholic Herald article can be seen at Shroud of Turin dates from time of Christ, scientists reveal

I think it ties in well with what I wrote the other week, that is, that when the apparently overwhelming evidence favours a conclusion, however seemingly implausible or unlikely to modern sensibilities, then it really should be given due weight and consideration. If that is done then the case for the Shroud really being what it is believed to be attains the level of the highly or very probable. It does not prove the historic claim, as nothing can ultimately prove that, but it can establish the case for probability that edges towards scientifically acceptable certitude. Of course that does depend, in many cases, on individuals - never mind the  ‘group think’ - being willing or prepared to think outside their established frame of reference. We can but hope.


No comments: