Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 25 August 2024

Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Winfarthing


The pilgrims now return to Norfolk with the first shrine to be visited that at Winfarthing which lies south of Norwich. I imagine that this attracted local pilgrims rather than people from outside the county or East Anglia. The article I wrote about rage shrine can be found through Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Winfarthing

A few miles to the east, across the county boundary in Suffolk, there was, according to Waterton a “celebrated” image of the Virgin at the church in Weston. Unfortunately he gives no further information about it and I have not found any further information about it. I assume that this too was a shrine with an essentially local appeal.The Wikipedia entry for the village has a picture of the church and some details. It can be seen at Weston, Suffolk

May Our Lady of Winfarthing and Our Lady of Weston pray for The King and all the Royal Family and for us all


3 comments:

John F H H said...

Goood to see you blogging again. I found this reference to the shrine at Weston,
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/suffolk-history-antiquities/vol1/pp97-101

but it gives no source.

Once I Was A Clever Boy said...

Many thanks for the link. It is tantalising that it gives no more information about the devotion.

John F H H said...

I suspect from the phrasing Suckling was the source for Waterton.