Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 17 August 2024

Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Allingtree


The shrine of Our Lady of Allingtree appears to have left little in the way of recorded history other than a memory that led to the building of a modern church near to its site. 

What little I had discovered about it is set out in last year’s article at Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Allingtree 

However I have subsequently discovered that Edmund Waterton gives some references to it and these indicate that it was close to a gallows. I imagine that this, as in other towns and cities, was situated outside the Wye Gate of Hereford at the edge of the city’s jurisdiction and by the principal road going out towards Abergavenny and Wales. 

The chapel may therefore have served as a place for the condemned to seek spiritual support in their last hour.

May Our Lady of Allingtree pray for The King and all the Royal Family and for us all


No comments: