Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 17 August 2024

Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Kingswood


Returning across the Severn the abbey of Cistercian monks at Kingswood near Stroud in Gloucestershire had a shrine to Our Lady of which unfortunately not much appears to be known. As an abbey, and certainly as a focus for pilgrims, it lost out in comparison to the other Cistercian foundation in the north of the county at Hailes with the immensely important relic of the Holy Blood.

Waterton quotes a record of offerings to Our Lady of Kingswood on behalf of the last Stafford Duke of Buckingham and his son in 1520. They were based at Thornbury Castle a few miles to the west and it was doubtless their local shrine.

My article about the shrine from last year can be seen at Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Kingswood

May Our Lady of Kingswood pray for The King and all the Royal Family and for us all


No comments: