Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 16 August 2024

Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Evesham


Due to my additions to the original, quaint, itinerary compiled by Canon Stevenson, that there are three shrines on the Marian Pilgrimage. Evesham, Worcester and Tewkesbury can today all be visited on the same day, but that would not allow sufficient time to appreciate the beauty and importance of any of the religious or other historic sites they contain.

The first shrine in date is that at Evesham. As I say in my previous articles about it, and which can be navigated from last year’s article it is far earlier in date than other sites associated with visions of Our Lady. Apart from the tradition of Our Lady of the Pillar at Zaragossa it looks to be the earliest recorded apparition in the West, and antedates Walsingham by three and a half centuries.

The 2023 article, with its links to earlier ones about the shrine, can be accessed at Marian Pilgrimage - Our Lady of Evesham

May Our Lady of Evesham pray for The King and all the Royal Family and for us all


No comments: