Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 25 February 2013

Oxford Ordinariate Oratorio


This coming Saturday, March 2nd, the Newman Consort, who provide the music for the Oxford Ordinariate group's liturgies, will perform the oratorio Jephte by Giacomo Carissimi (1605-1674) at 4pm in Holy Rood church, which is in Abingdon Road in Oxford. 

There is a longstanding Oxford connection with Carissimi in that Henry Aldrich, Dean of Christ Church from 1689 until 1710, collected copies of nearly all of the composer's works and these are still in the library at Christ Church.


File:Giacomo Carissimi.jpg

Giacomo Carissimi

Image: Wikipedia

Admission is free, and afterwards there will be refreshments, before the Ordinariate Mass at 6pm.

No comments: