Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 16 June 2011

St Richard of Chichester


Today is the feast day of St Richard of Chichester according to the modern Catholic calendar. I published a post St Richard of Chichester about him in connection with his older feast day, April 3rd, earlier this year, and drawing attention to his commemoration by the medieval Dominican house in my home town.

Here is Fr Blake's post for today about him, entited Controversial Bishop, and placing him in the context of the continuing life and practice of the Church.

May St Richard continue to pray for the Church in and the people of Sussex, the members of the University of Oxford, and for us all.


No comments: