Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 19 July 2021

Arms and armour videos III: Scholagladiatoria


The website Scholagladiatoria is the creation of Matt Easton. He is very much a practitioner of HEMA ( Historic European Martial Arts ) and teaches historic fencing and combat techniques. He has an engaging zest for his particular enthusiasm, best summed up in a video which acquired a huge number of ‘Likes’ wherein he can be seen wearing a reproduction later fifteenth century sallet and happily showing its utility as a helmet by wearing it and beating himself over the head with a rolling pin…. Like Ian LaSpina of Knight Errant such enthusiasm is combined with a serious and dedicated commitment to understanding past practicalities and realities, and makes for informed viewing.

In several of his videos, such as three excellent ones about the truly splendid tomb of Sir William Phelip KG ( Lord Bardolph jure uxoris ) at Deddington in Suffolk, he has collaborated with Dr Tobias Capwell, but I will introduce Dr Capwell in a post of his own….


No comments: