Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 5 July 2021

Eating in the Middle Ages


The article I linked to in my previous post from History Extra includes links to two other pieces about medieval life, in both cases about eating.

The first is about the times of the day at which people ate, and the type of meal they would have had. It can be read at What time of the day did medieval people eat?

The second looks at foods consumed in the middle ages which might surprise modern readers unacquainted with the varieties of food available to medieval households. This ties in with various YouTube videos on past cuisine, which are an eye-opener to the viewer, such as those on the excellent Tasting History site. The article can be read at Medieval kebabs and pasta: 5 foods you (probably) didn’t know were being eaten in the Middle Ages

 

No comments: