Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 28 July 2021

Des Res in Roman Peterborough


I came across a report from Peterborough Archaeology about the excavation of a substantial and once clearly handsome villa in what is now Fane Road in Peterborough.

This building had replaced an earlier timber villa on the site, which had previously had an Iron Age house on the site. The substantial stone villa indicates the quality of life its owner and their household could have enjoyed in the later period of Roman rule before decline set in during the later fourth century.

The report, complete with a plan and reconstruction drawing as well as pictures of finds can be accessed at Evidence for the Roman Villa



No comments: