Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 8 July 2021

Arms and armour videos I. Introducing the genre


In recent weeks I have discovered and have then both enjoyed watching and learned a lot from a range of posts on YouTube by some medieval military re-enactors who bring genuine, informed, serious knowledge and understanding about medieval armour to the subject as well as an endearing and infectious enthusiasm for the minutiae of the subject.

Over coming days I will feature some of these, and link to some of their videos which give particularly interesting insights. The thing to do in most cases is to look online at the list of their individual complete oeuvre on YouTube and then take a dip in.

Such re-enactment does look such good fun that I wish I was younger, fitter, slimmer … ah well, in the latter two categories I never was… and in all three the realities of life are irreversible. One can however dream, and more importantly, learn about the past.


No comments: