Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 30 July 2021

A gold mancus of King Ecgberht


The MailOnline has an article about the discovery by a metal defector and forthcoming sale of a unique Anglo-Saxon gold coin. It is a mancus, originally worth 30 silver pennies and only minted for special purposes such as gifts to churches. Found in Wiltshire it was struck in the reign of King Ecgberht, who ruled from 802 until 839, and who was the first King of Wessex to assert his authority over other kingdoms in the Heptarchy. He was the grandfather of King Alfred. Because of its special donative nature the coin was produced to a high quality and is apparently in mint condition. 

The article which explains the purpose and value of a mancus, and has photographs of the coin, can be seen at Metal detectorist finds £200,000 gold coin in Wiltshire field

I think it is very much to be hoped that the coin will be purchased for a museum so that others can see and enjoy this survival from the  Anglo-Saxon age and a key stage in the creation of a united realm.


No comments: