Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 30 July 2021

The Stavelot Reliquary


I have sometimes posted in the past about surviving medieval reliquaries, and realised I have not done so for a while when I saw the following piece.

The Liturgical Arts Journal has a post about the mid-twelfth century Stavelot Reliquary of the True Cross and which is now in New York. This has recently been restored and is now back on display.

The article, which has some fine photographs as well as a history and description of this wonderful devotional object, can be seen at The Stavelot Reliquary in New York


No comments: