Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 28 July 2021

An early ring from Yorkshire


Trawling the internet is rather like metal detecting - you never know what you are going to find. The other day I came across a good example of this with a report from the MailOnline from 2013 about an apparently early Anglian or Anglo-Saxon sapphire ring that had been found by a metal detector at Escrick, south of York, in 2009.

The ring is currently assigned to the fifth or sixth century and may have originally been a brooch. The suggestion is that it was made on the continent rather than in Britain. What is especially striking is the quality and delicate detail of the design and craftsmanship of an item without parallel for that date in this country.

The ring can now be seen on display at the Yorkshire Museun in the grounds of St Mary’s Abbey in York.

The illustrated report about its discovery can be read here


No comments: