Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 6 July 2021

A First Celebration of an EF Mass


Earlier this evening I had the privilege of attending the first celebration by a priest friend of a Mass in the Extraordinary Form. This was a votive of the Holy Angels and accompanied by a fine Schola. This was an elegant and dignified celebration and a pledge of things to come. Like so many young priests my friend is keen to celebrate the traditional Rite as part of his ministry and that is a sign that the benefits conferred by Summorum Pontificum continue to bear fruit, fruit that will last in the Church. The fact that the coming generation of younger priests wish to celebrate the Mass according to the traditional form is deeply gratifying for those of us concerned to see such practice encouraged and supported. I look forward to being able to attend other Masses celebrated by him in this form of the Roman Rite and wish him well for his future ministry.


No comments: