Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 4 February 2012

The development of the Candlemas liturgy


Before we move into Septuagesima here is one final post for this year relating to Candlemas. The New Liturgical Movement has reposted an article by Shawn Tribe on the development of the liturgy for the feast which can be read at NLM Reprint: Historical Notes on Candlemas.

The article also includes a reproduction this rather fine painting from the late middle ages of the Presentation in the Temple:




No comments: