Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 2 February 2015

Oxford Novena at SS Gregory and Augustine


Today the church of SS Gregory and Augustine commences a Novena to Our Lady of Lourdes, beginning at their Extraordinary Form High Mass of Candlemas at 6 pm. This will have a polyphonic setting  The Novena is being made to pray for the sick and for those who care for them.

During this time there will be EF Low Masses on Wednesday and Friday at 6 pm and on Thursday at 12 noon as well as Masses in the Ordinary Form.  

The Novena concludes with the EF High Mass of Our Lady of Lourdes (also with polyphony from some of Oxford's finest young singers) at 6pm on that feast on February 11th. The preacher at that celebration will be Dom Oswald McBride OSB from St Benet's Hall.



No comments: