Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 7 February 2015

A True Son of the Raj


A friend has sent me the link to an account of the life of the late Maharaja of Dhrangadra-Halvad who died in 2010.

His biography encapsulates much of the life of the last reigning Indian Princes under the Raj and in subsequent decades.

The English educated and Anglophile Maharaja was clearly a man committed to the concept of public service both as an independent ruler before 1947 and in the years that followed.




No comments: