Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 31 August 2013

All dressed up


Earlier this evening here in Oxford city centre I saw a fairly thick-set bespectacled middle-aged man walking puposefully through the city dressed in dinner jacket, white shirt, black bow tie, black suspender belt, black fishnet stockings and standard lace up men's shoes. As he walked off, apparently quite unconcerned by the effect he might be creating, down New Inn Hall Street no one paid any particular attention to him. 

Charitably I assumed he was going to a fancy dress party, but, well, it is Oxford...


Addendum:
Upon reflection I think the gentleman may have been going as a fan ( I gather they dress up as characters in the show) to a production of The Rocky Horror Show at the New Theatre here in Oxford.
Nonetheless his outfit was, even by local usage, well, noteworthy to say the least.








1 comment:

pippi longstocking said...

More in this vein, please. And photos next time!