Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 22 May 2012

Pentecost Vigil at Blackfriars Oxford


If you are in or near Oxford this coming Saturday evening - May 26th - you might like to attend the liturgical celebration of the Vigil of Pentecost at Blackfriars on St Giles. As the Priory is dedicated to the Holy Spirit this is part of the celebration of their patronal feast by the Dominican community.

The liturgy consists of First Vespers, the Vigil and First Mass of Pentecost and commences at 9pm. I have attended for the last two years, that is since the Vigil was reinstated as part of their celebrations, and you can read my accounts of previous occasions - from 2010 at Pentecost Vigil at Blackfriars and from last year, with photographs, at Vigil of Pentecost at Oxford Blackfriars.



No comments: