Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 29 May 2012

Oak Apple Day



Today is Oak Apple Day, commemorationg the Restoration of King Charles II to the throne in 1660.

Parliament had ordered the 29th of May, the King’s birthday, to be forever kept as a day of thanksgiving for our redemption from tyranny and the King’s return to his Government, he returning to London that day.
— Samuel Pepys’s Diary 1st June 1660


King Charles II in Coronation robes
Quotation and image from The Monarchist blogspot


Next time there is talk or rearranging Bank Holidays we should remind Parliament of this decision and get Oak Apple Day re-established as a national day.

It is certainly a day upon which to give thanks for the Monarchy and to pray for it and for the Royal Family. In this Jubilee year it seems all the more appropriate to do so.

I have only once managed to get a sprig of oak leaves to wear on this day as a button-hole. Perhaps something to try to do more strenuously in future years.

A revised version of my post for this day last year. My post from the previous year can be read at Restoration.



No comments: