Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 27 July 2010

Traditional Mass in Oxford next week

Fr John Saward of SS Gregory and Augustine here in Oxford has sent me details of three Low Masses in the Extraordinary Form this coming week at his church.

They are the usual Wednesday and First Friday Masses at 6, but also an additional one on Thursday August 5th at 6 for Our Lady of the Snow.

He says he is thinking of making these First Thursday evening Masses a regular part of the programme. During the Year for Priests, the Holy Father encouraged parishes to revive the tradition of praying for priests and vocations on First Thursdays. This devotion is associated with Pope Pius XI, who instituted the Votive Mass of Jesus Christ, Eternal High Priest, and that Mass will be offered whenever calendrically possible.

Do please mention these Masses to friends.

Fr Saward also reminds people of the weekly day of Eucharistic Adoration, on Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. This concludes with Traditional Latin Benediction at 5.

No comments: