Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 4 February 2012

St Gilbert of Sempringham in glass


Last year on this day I posted St Gilbert of Sempringham about the life of this centenarian Lincolnshire saint and monastic founder with various weblinks.

To those I would definitely add Brian Golding's life of St Gilbert in the Oxford DNB which can be read here.

St Gilbert is depicted at bottom left in modern stained glass in this window:

photo

Stained glass on the north side of Selwyn College chapel, Cambridge.
The figures at the bottom are (left to right) St. Gilbert of Sempringham, St. Francis of Assisi, and St Etheldreda, Abbess of Ely

Image:TheRevSteve on Flickr

1 comment:

Fraternidade São Gilberto said...

Hello dear beloved, I would like to know if you would like to belong to a faithful community follwing Christ through the Gilbertine spirituality. Please enter in contact with me:

Fr. Carlos Aparecido Marchesani

fraternidadesaogilberto@ibest.com.br