Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 6 February 2012

The Diamond Jubilee


Today is the sixtieth anniversary of the accession of Her Majesty The Queen to the throne, and an occasion to express loyalty, gratitude and appreciation to her on this very significant anniversary and achievement.


Official Diamond Jubilee portrait of The Queen

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Message

Today, as I mark 60 years as your Queen, I am writing to thank you for the wonderful support and encouragement that you have given to me and Prince Philip over these years and to tell you how deeply moved we have been to receive so many kind messages about the Diamond Jubilee.

In this special year, as I dedicate myself anew to your service, I hope we will all be reminded of the power of togetherness and the convening strength of family, friendship and good neighbourliness, examples of which I have been fortunate to see throughout my reign and which my family and I look forward to seeing in many forms as we travel throughout the United Kingdom and the wider Commonwealth.


I hope also that this Jubilee year will be a time to give thanks for the great advances that have been made since 1952 and to look forward to the future with clear head and warm heart as we join together in our celebrations.


I send my sincere good wishes to you all.


ELIZABETH R.

Long may she reign!

Image and message text from thre British Monarchy website

1 comment:

Noelle the dreamer said...

Great post as always! I hope it will meet with your blessing as I linked it to mine.
http://liveanddreamalittledream.blogspot.com/2012/02/jubilee.html

Blessings,