Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 6 July 2010

Oxford Martyrs memorial


Following on from my post yesterday I have now found a photograph of the memorial erected in 2008 to the four martyrs. It is at the eastern end of Holywell Street, near the junction with Lomgwall Street.


There is a piece about the plan to erect the plaque and an account of the four men in this report from the Catholic Herald

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

spot the typo.