Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 19 May 2021

Our Lady at the Pillar St Edmundsbury


The virtual Marian pilgrimage now returns to Suffolk, and to the great monastic centre of Bury St Edmunds. The focus on this particular pilgrimage is not the abbey but the adjacent parish church of St Mary and a later fifteenth century devotion to Our Lady of the Pillar in its south aisle.

I wrote about this last year in my post on Our Lady at the Pillar St Edmundsbury

There is more about the abbey church and precinct, of which St Mary’s was a part, at MonasteryQuest™ Pt 1: the twenty richest houses at the dissolution from the website stainedglassattitudes, where the abbey is ranked as the third richest in the country.

Our Lady at the Pillar Pray for us


No comments: