Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 21 May 2021

Our Lady of Kingswood


The Cistercian abbey of Kingswood near Wotton-under-Edge in southern Gloucestershire apparently had a pilgrimage statue of Our Lady in the Capella ante portam at the abbey which was believed to cure the sick and lame.

All that survives of Kingswood above ground is the handsome late medieval gatehouse, which must be close to the site of the chapel. There is an account of the gate building and its sculpture from the website of English Heritage at History of Kingswood Abbey Gatehouse
and Wikipedia has a history of the abbey at Kingswood Abbey

Our Lady of Kingswood Pray for us


No comments: