Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 22 May 2021

Dominican Ordination in Washington DC


This afternoon I was able, thanks to the wonder of the Internet and live-streaming, to virtually attend an Ordination at the Dominican Priory of the Immaculate Conception in Washington DC. The reason for my interest is that one of the five candidates for the priesthood, the now Fr Reginald Hoefer OP, was in 2011 a student of mine here in Oxford. He was here as a visiting studentt and I had the pleasure of being his tutor in history. 

It was a privilege today to be able to participate in such an important day for him and his four fellow ordinands.

I was impressed by the friary church, by the excellent sermon from the ordaining auxiliary Bishop from Washington and particularly by the sheer numbers of Dominicans in attendance at the Mass. If the US Dominicans are recruiting so many young men that must be a good sign for the future.

In the meantime my prayers for Fr Reginald and his confreres and my good wishes for their future ministry.


No comments: