Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 8 May 2021

An embarrassing painting to have around ?


The Art Newspaper has an interesting story about a Van Dyck portrait that is coming up for sale in July.

The portrait is of Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford and is dated to 1639-40. The painting appears to have been in the collection of King Charles I, but disposed of in 1641 following the Earl’s execution. As that author of the article argues it was perhaps rather embarrassing to have on the wall in Whitehall after that tragic and traumatic event.

The link to King Charles’ collection has only recently been established. Eventually it came into the possession of the Dukes of Grafton, and it is the present Duke who is selling the painting. That is very sad that he has to do that because of the effects of lockdown on country estates such as Euston. It is very much to hoped that the painting can stay in this country.

I was not aware of this portrait of Strafford before reading this report. The much better known ones by Van Dyck appear to monopolise the choices of book editors. This seems rather surprising given how fine the painting is. The sale may help to make it better known.



No comments: