Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 20 April 2021

Celebrating Easter with the pre-‘55 liturgy


Peter Kwasniewski has an interesting article on the New Liturgical Movement about the increasing use of the traditional liturgy for the Triduum in its form as used before 1955. That it is becoming more widespread is clear both from direct evidence and anecdote, and Kwasniewski suggests it had acquired a momentum that can only increase. His article also has useful links to various other pieces by him relating to the use of the traditional Easter liturgy.

As someone who was, thanks to lockdown and live-streaming, able to follow that form of the liturgy this year thanks to FSSP in Warrington and Fribourg, the article resonated with me. With its author I share both surprise and heartened, that such a development has taken place and so quickly.



No comments: